News Reports On Possible Iran Attack Pick Up Momentum
March 17, 2010
The alternative media in the United States and corporate media outlets in Europe and Israel are now reporting on a story that surfaced earlier in the week revealing a weapons build-up in preparation for an attack on Iran.
On March 14, the Herald Scotland reported on the delivery of hundreds of U.S. bunker buster bombs to the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean in preparation for a possible attack on Iran. Ten ammunition containers were sent to the island in January, according to a cargo manifest from the U.S. The Scottish newspaper report said Superior Maritime Services, a shipping company based in Florida, was paid $699,500 to transport military items from Concord, California, to Diego Garcia, including 195 smart, guided, Blu-110 bombs and 192 massive 2000lb Blu-117 bombs. Bunker busters are designed to penetrate underground structures.
“They are gearing up totally for the destruction of Iran. U.S. bombers are ready today to destroy 10,000 targets in Iran in a few hours,” Dan Plesch, director of the Center for International Studies and Diplomacy at the University of London, told the Herald Scotland. “The US is not publicizing the scale of these preparations to deter Iran, tending to make confrontation more likely,” he added.
Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq targeted non-military objects including electrical distribution facilities, three media facilities, civilian telecommunication facilities, government buildings, roads, and bridges. This targeting of civilian infrastructure will almost certainly be repeated in an attack on Iran.
In its unconstitutional and undeclared war against the people of Iraq, the U.S. violated the 1949 and 1977 protocols of the Geneva Convention which prohibit targeting civilian populations and civilian infrastructure and causing extensive destruction of property not justified by military objectives.
“Estimates of civilian deaths in Iraq suggest that up to quarter of a million people may die as a result of an attack using conventional weapons and many more will suffer homelessness, malnutrition and other serious health and environmental consequences in its aftermath. From what we know of the likely civilian devastation caused by the coalition’s war strategies, there are strong arguments that attacking Iraq may involve committing both war crimes and crimes against humanity,” Australian experts in international law and human rights legislation declared prior to the March, 2003, attack.
The current death toll from the U.S. invasion now stands at over a million people. The story was almost completely ignored by the corporate media in the United States.
In addition to the massive civilian death toll in Iran as a result of an attack, there will be serious economic and political reverberations. “Attacking Iran would be the end of everything as we know it, and Americans will turn away from their leadership if such a dirty and dastardly move is attempted. It’ll quickly become a third world nation, as if we aren’t in all reality totally broke and in debt anyway,” writes Tim King for Salem News.
If an attack happens, writes U.S. Army Counterintelligence Special Agent and Iraqi war veteranDavid DeBatto, the United States will experience an economic and political collapse.
Following the attack, DeBatto writes, “Americans are not be able to afford gas to go to work. Truckers pull their big rigs to the side of the road and simply walk away. Food, medicine and other critical products are not be brought to stores. Gas and electricity (what is left of the short supply) are too expensive for most people to afford. Children, the sick and elderly die from lack of air-conditioned homes and hospitals in the summer. Children, the sick and elderly die in the winter for lack of heat. There are food riots across the country. A barter system takes the place of currency and credit as the economy dissolves and banks close or limit withdrawals. Civil unrest builds.” Ultimately, according to DeBatto’s scenario, martial law is declared.
In 2007, Herald Scotland reported the U.S. had secretly upgraded stealth bomber hangars on Diego Garcia for strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities.
“The improvement of the B1 Spirit jet infrastructure coincides with an ‘urgent operational need’ request for £44m to fit racks to the long-range aircraft,” Ian Bruce wrote. “That would allow them to carry experimental 15-ton Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bombs designed to smash underground bunkers buried as much as 200ft beneath the surface through reinforced concrete.”
The U.S. Department of Defense request for special bomb racks was hidden in a request to Congress for extra emergency funding for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the newspaper reported on October 29, 2007.